Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Holiday Thoughts from Rebecca Ward


Ladies and Gentlemen, 

Start your engines!  The holiday season is upon us! While many of us still have turkey breath, we will be dragging out Christmas trees, ornaments, wreaths and all the other seasonal jewelry to begin our annual version of “decking the halls.” It’s what we do. We may be tired of it or even dread some of the boring and frustrating parts of the process of getting our homes presentable for holiday moments but most of us still adorn and bejewel to honor the month or so of seasonal  revelry…or not. We don’t “revel” a great deal here at my house  any longer but we do have several small gatherings of friends and family and I like my house to look festive and smell great.

I recall with some amusement my earlier years as a holiday fanatic and shake my head wondering what in the world was I thinking? Long before Thanksgiving, I had ordered my Christmas cards and had my gift list completed and many gifts bought, wrapped, and tagged! No moss under my youthful tootsies! Within hours after Thanksgiving  faded into a fridge full of leftovers,  the transformation from pumpkins into themes of Christmas had begun.  By midnight on Friday, my house was done! Wreaths on the door, tree trimmed with lights shining, and familiar seasonal artifacts, candles,  and ribbons spread throughout the place.

Back then I would start the baking duties…something I’ve never particularly enjoyed or been adept at. It was something I did because Mother and Grandmother did.. Christmas baking…cookies, fruit breads, plus fudge and divinity. There were always those little round tins which were saved from year to year to be filled with cardio-diabetic-glucose paralyzing foodstuffs we only eat sparingly today. Somehow during the holiday season, I guess we thought we had corporeal amnesty and license to scarf down sugary-buttery goodies with no ill effects. Life was simpler then, before we knew how we were killing ourselves with food!

Oh, I have so digressed. This blog today is to help you NOT put yourself under such stress that you can’t enjoy the month of fun you have ahead of you. What I’m suggesting is you look at how you put pressure on yourself or perhaps let others put pressure on you and see if it’s all really necessary like Christmas cards or Christmas newsletters.  Some years ago, I decided that Christmas cards could be replaced by New Year’s cards I could send sometime in January when the world was dark and cold and Christmas mania was past. That was one task deleted.  When I bought gifts, I let the merchants who were kind enough to offer wrap those gifts and that saved lots of time.  I learned how to honor my friends and family with gifts in their honor to a worthy organization which helped a whole bunch of folks and took a lot of the angst about what to buy or what color and size.

Instead of “What to buy”  we might ask ourselves “Should I buy” with the economy so tough right now. A gift of your time is priceless so you might offer to babysit, or run errands for someone who could use the help, or set aside some time for coffee and a visit. Baking cookies is a treat for most people and that can be a gift that is not so expensive in goods but priceless in the making.

Holidays are not the time to bring up old issues or look for opportunity to clear the air or resolve an old hurt. If you’re with your family, go, eat, mingle, and then go home. This is not a summit meeting, it’s Christmas dinner. Keep it simple.

That’s the best advice I guess: Keep it simple! In every way, look for a comfort zone so  a Merry Christmas can be that for you too. Unfortunately, our Christmas celebrations have long ago turned into an economic event and a marketing bonanza more than a season to celebrate a precious birthday with family and friends. Isn’t that so sad?

Rebecca Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment