Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Rebecca Ward & the Magic of Christmas

Blog entry by therapist
Rebecca Ward
As I write this, my holiday house is just about ready for company. Garlands, ribbons and lights are down the staircase and my Santa Claus
collection is displayed in its customary spot. Candles here and there and other Christmas paraphernalia is strewn somewhat artfully about though it's hard for me to know that for sure. I've been doing just about the same things to "deck" my house for many years. It looks okay to me but it just might be that it looks familiar. We cheated on the tree this year, lighting up a tall live tropical looking tree in the living room rather than hauling down the big one from the attic. My granddaughters will roll their eyes and say "Seriously?"

Everything else is out and festive and I love looking around and seeing all the familiar stuff,  Most have little stories attached to their origins, where they were bought or from  whom they were gifted and how old they are and so forth. I love having them around and the house warmly lit with white lights and candle glow. Add a cozy fire and Norman could almost paint a picture! Except for the tree deal. I feel a little guilty that I'm not doing the whole expected thing but not enough to change the plan for this year. The house is adorned sufficiently to announce the season and looks fetching if I do say so.

Each year I vow to do less and enjoy more and now I'm really getting there. Some of it has to do with being older and knowing what's really important is not what but with whom. What I remember about Christmas' pasts is the time spent laughing and talking and really connecting with family and friends. One year my significant husband gave me a swell watch and I remember how surprised I was. We were newly married and still thinking about the presents we were getting for each other instead of the presence of mind to enjoy our time with folks, some of whom are no longer here. Now we know and focus on making enough time to be present and not about presents you have to buy. It makes for a different focus and much more meaningful holiday season. Thankfully most of our friends feel the same. Opening a bottle of wine and settling in for a long winter's visit is just about the best part of this whole time of year!

While the magic of Santa Claus and flying reindeer and gifts being delivered down the chimney was absolutely wonderful, there is other magic to be found and enjoyed through the month of December. Look around you...it's there and no need for ribbon and scissors. Spend your time with those you love and you'll find what I'm talking about! Do less and "be" more! Magic!!

Merry Christmas! Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment